11.19.2012

Homemade Rolls

I know it's been awhile since I shared my favorite potato soup recipe.  But that was when I promised to share this roll recipe.  And it's finally time!  I hope you're excited because I promise it's my favorite thing to make....and the yummiest thing I make.  I can't remember a Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner where my Mom didn't make these delicious rolls.  They're kind of a Merrifield tradition.

AND...

Starting December 1st, I will ONLY be posting foods that I love to eat around Christmas.
Appetizers, homemade candies, treats, cookies, meal ideas, neighbor gifts, etc.  And the GREATEST part is that I want you to help me!  I want YOU to send me as many of your favorite Christmas recipes as you can.  And I'm totally serious when I say "AS MANY AS YOU WANT!"

Even if you've already done a Follower Friday, I want more of your yummy recipes.  If I have to post 7 days a week, I totally will.  If I have to post 2 or 3 times a day, I totally will too!

Send pictures and recipes to my email: willtherebefoodthere@gmail.com starting TODAY and continue sending them through December 8th.  And I will post your recipe and link it back to you.

Just think of how great this blog will be?  Filled with so many YUMMY foods to make for your Christmas parties and dinners, or to make and give to your neighbors.  So please, start baking!

Okay, here is the roll recipe. I always seem to be the one asked to bring rolls dinners. So if you were asked to take them to Thanksgiving, try this one!


Butterhorn Rolls
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter/margarine/shortening
1/4 cup warm water
1 T. yeast
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
4-5 cups white flour
(Bread flour works the best.  Sometimes I do half wheat, half white.)

A few things I've learned when making these rolls - they're totally NOT fool proof.
I've messed up several times on them so be sure to consider these tips:
1- It's better to double the yeast mixture in higher altitude
2 - Eggs work better when they're at room tempertaure,
pull them out about a half hour before starting to make rolls
3- Trying to speed up the "rising" process doesn't work on these.
So you definitely need the time when making these.
4- My favorite part about this...double the batch, roll the rolls,
freeze them and then put into a plastic bag.  You have rolls ready for any meal!

Okay sorry....here goes!

Combine milk and butter in a glass dish and microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
You need the mixture to be scalding - but not boiling.



Once you've got that microwaving, combine 1/4 cup warm water and 1 (I do 1.5) T of yeast.
See my eggs are sitting out getting warm?

Dump scalding milk/butter mixture into a large bowl.  Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
(You don't want to "cook" your eggs or kill the yeast)

 Add sugar, salt and half of flour.

Sitr!  I'm not lucky enough to have a fancy mixer so I use a wooden spoon and then my hands :)  Then dump in the water/yeast mixture. (Which should be ready to mix...it's been sitting about 20 minutes)  Stir again.

Add 3 eggs.  Stir.

Add the remaining flour one cup at a time.  This is where the hand kneading will come in.

Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.  If it's sticky, add more flour and if it's really firm, a little water is okay to add.  But don't go crazy.  Form a nice little ball.

Cover with a towel and give the dough about 2 hours to raise.




After two hours, check it!  It should be big and fluffy.
Sprinkle flour onto the counter.  Dump the dough onto the counter and begin rolling out!  For the first couple years I didn't have a rolling pin because I thought they were expensive.  I used a stupid cup.  Rolling pins are like $8.  Don't make that silly mistake :)


Melt 1/3 cup of butter and spread over the rolled out dough. 

Cut horizontal strips.  And then cut triangles starting from either end.
Roll the wider edge towards the smaller tip.
Place on a greased cookie sheet.

Cover with plastic wrap.  And allow rolls about 2 hours to raise.  I forgot to take a picture but they need to be double in size before baking.  OR...put them in the freezer overnight.


 
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.


IF you froze them - take the rolls out, pull them off the pan and place in a zipllock bag.  Put back in the freezer - they stay fresh for about a month.  And when you want rolls for dinner, place them on a greased cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let raise for 4-5 hours before meal. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. 
 
 
ENJOY!  And start emailing me those recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment