8.22.2012

Miss P's Birthday Cupcakes

For my daughter's first birthday I made fun white cupcakes with vanilla icing and pink sprinkles.


Silver White Cupcakes from Betty Crocker
2 1/4 c. flour
1 2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. shortening (I used butter)
1 1/4 c. milk
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
5 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Fill two muffin pans with liners. (24 total)
Add all ingredients except for egg whites into a large bowl.
Mix for 2 minutes.  Mix egg whites in a separate bowl. (Crack the egg in half over a bowl.
Pass the egg yolk back and forth between the two pieces of shell.
This helps all the egg white slide off and fall into the bowl.  Discard yolk and shell.)
Combine with cake batter and mix for 2 minutes.
Pour batter 3/4 of the way full into muffin liners.
Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Let cool before icing.
(I'm not lucky enough to have a KitchenAid - hand mixers work just fine!)

Vanilla Icing:
1/2 c. of butter
1 tsp. of vanilla (double if imitation)
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 T. of milk

Set the butter out to soften before you begin cupcakes.
Once it is soft, add vanilla, powdered sugar and milk.
Mix on high for 1 minute.
I like the icing a little thicker so add more sugar if too thin.

*Tips for icing the cupcakes:
With a knife, scoop icing out of the bowl and smear onto cupcake.
DO NOT wipe the knife off of the side of the cupcake
(a little something I learned from my boss at a caterer business).

Then sprinkle on or decorate with what you like.
I am NO cake decorater so pink sprinkles are my kind of decorating.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support already!  Are you a follower yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment